All employees are welcome and eligible to purchase affordable University-subsidized parking permits. Three primary employee permit types are available: Area 1, Area 2, and Area 3. The parking privileges and purchase rates associated with each of these permit types are provided below.
When University permit holders are required to drive a substitute vehicle to campus, using a vehicle other than those associated with their regular parking permits, a Substitute Vehicle Permit must be requested and used.
Please familiarize yourself with the general parking permit regulatory information before requesting your University permit-parking privileges.
LIMITED Area 1 permit parking capacity is available on the Storrs and Health campuses.
Area 1 parking capacity is located within the central or “academic core” district of the Storrs campus. When available, Area 1 permits may be purchased on a sheltered, pretax basis by those eligible for payroll deductions. Area 1 permit applications are, however, no longer being accepted due to the length of the pre-existing waitlist and the diminished Area 1 parking inventory. The number of Area 1 parking spaces are expected to further decrease as new buildings and infrastructure replace central campus parking facilities. For this reason, our current Area 1 permit holders are encouraged to consider converting to Area 2 or Garage parking permit types.
In response to the construction impacts associated with the Fine Arts Production Facility, the permit permissions to park on the 6 Gilbert Road Lot will change from Area 2 to Area 1. Additionally, an Area 1 (Fine Arts) permit will be introduced at the start of the 2017/18 permit year (May 31, 2017). Area 1 (Fine Arts) permit will be valid on the Fine Arts Lot (also know as Lot 1) and also in locations designated for Area 1, Area 2, and Area 3 permit use. Area 1 permits will NOT be authorized to park on the Fine Arts Lot.
Area 1 parking permits issued by Parking Services authorize parking in the following locations:
- Storrs Campus: in locations posted for use by those with Area 1, Area 2, Area 3 and “Any Paid” permits.
- Regional Campuses: in Area 2 permit parking spaces.
- Health Center campus: in Area 3 permit parking spaces.
Area 1 parking permits do NOT authorize the use of…
- either parking garage on the Storrs Campus or the Scovill Municipal Garage in Waterbury.
- student permit-parking locations during the academic year; use of student parking areas during the summer semester is typically authorized on the Storrs campus due to the reduced demand.
- Reserved and restricted spaces, time-limited or metered spaces, or Load Zones unless specifically authorized by posted signage.
- Area 1 parking spaces on the Health Center campus; these spaces are administered by the Parking & Transportation staff in Farmington and are Reserved for the purposes they specifically authorize.
All Regional and the majority of Storrs campus employees purchase Area 2 permits.
Area 2 permits are moderately priced and provide the broadest selection of parking opportunities on both the Storrs and Regional campuses. Area 2 permit prices are determined by using a sliding salary scale (see rate table below) and may be purchased on a sheltered, pretax basis by those eligible for payroll deductions.
Area 2 parking permits authorize parking in the following locations:
- Area 2 parking stalls on all University campuses. Area 2 parking permits also authorize parking in Area 3 lots and posted “Any Paid” permit parking areas, including those on the Health Center campus.
Area 2 parking permits do NOT authorize:
- the use of either parking garage on the Storrs Campus or the Scovill Municipal Garage in Waterbury.
- parking in student permit parking locations during the academic year; use of student parking areas during the summer semester is typically authorized on the Storrs campus due to the decreased demand.
- the use of reserved and restricted spaces, time-limited or metered spaces, or Load Zones unless specifically authorized by posted signage.
LIMITED Area 3 permit parking spaces are available on the Storrs campus. Area 3 permit-parking spaces are only available on the Storrs and Health Center campuses. Area 3 permit parking is available at no-charge.
Area 3 parking permit authorize parking in the following locations:
- Area 3 parking permit authorize parking ONLY in within posted Area 3 parking locations.
- Those considering Area 3 parking should carefully reference our permit parking map and confirm that Area 3 parking is available within reasonably close proximity to your office or workplace.
- Area 3 parking is also available on Health Campus in Farmington.
Regular Payroll Employees: Paying for parking using pre-tax payroll deductions
While parking privileges of regular University payroll employees are automatically extended to the subsequent permit years, new decals or hangtags are issued annually.
If you do not wish to renew your permit, you will need to take action to avoid further payroll deduction. The permits are distributed by campus mail by the end April.
- Permit fees are payroll deducted according to permit type. As of July 10, 2015, payroll deductions for University parking permits are made using pre-tax earnings.
- Per the IRS tax code, pre-tax parking deductions cannot be cancelled or refunded retroactively.
- Please be aware that permit cancellations may take one or two pay periods to become effective.
- Any employee currently paying parking fees by payroll deduction is able to opt out of the Pre-Tax Plan by paying their parking fee in full at the Parking Services office via cash, check or credit card.
Special Payroll Employees: Paying for parking permits online via credit card
“Special payroll” employees include:
- Adjunct faculty
- directly-contracted University employees whose employment term is known; end date specified within term of Agreement
Special payroll employees are able to apply and pay for their selected parking permits online. There is no available payroll deduction option.
|Payroll Deduction Amount||Purchase price per specified period|
|Permit Type||Salary Level||Bi-Weekly||Semester||Annual|
|AREA 2||to $37,500||$4.67||$40.50||$121.50|
|$37,500 to $64,500||$7.01||$60.75||$182.25|
|Emeritus||Areas 2 & 3||—||$0.00||$0.00|
|Special Payroll||Area 2||—||$7.01||$15.19|
|Premium Permit Types||Bi-weekly||Semester||Annual|
|Perimeter Lot Permit Types|
|Regular Payroll||Area 3||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Special Payroll||Area 3||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
Area 3 – May park in any Area 3 space
Garages – May park in designated garage, Area 2, or “Any Paid Permit” Spaces
|As an only vehicle||$50/year|
Please see the Parking Map for specific lot designations.